Botanical name –Ferula foetida
Family name -Umbellifereae
English name – Asafoetida
Sanskrit names – Hingu, Ramata, Atyugra, Jantughna, Sahasravedhi, Jantuka, Ramata,
Bhutanashaka, Supadhupaka, Rakshoghna.
Singhalese name- Perumkayam
Parts used – Latex
Guna Laghu, Tikshna, Snigdha, Sara
Attributes / Karma:
Alleviates Vata, Kapha. Vitiates Pitta.
Promote appetite and digestion. Antibacterial. Strengthening,
Cures – pains, Gulma, stomach diseases, (Murcha), (Apasmara) epilepsy.
• Flatulence – Castor oil
• Hingu is applied locally on the genitalia in impotency.
• Hingu water is applied to reduce swelling and pain of guinea worm.
• Roasted Hingu is given at the beginning of meal in hypo gastric pain and at the middle of the meal in epigastric conditions.
• Respiratory conditions – Karpurahinguvati or raw hingu is used.
Process of purification- Two methods
1. 1 part of hingu is dissolved in 8 part of water and then dried on low flame in ghee layered iron pot.
2. Hingu is roasted in cow-ghee till it becomes dry and rough.
Tikulu hingu kvata